Barcelona SAE is offering four new programs at the prestigious UPF: Hispanic and European Studies (HESP), Legal Studies Honors program, Business and Economics (ESCI), and a summer liberal arts program. Universidad de Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is a young, public and modern university founded in 1990 and is gearing up to be one of the leading European universities. UPF’s teaching model is based on a comprehensive education and a student-centered learning.
The University is based on a policy of being an institution open to the world, incorporating prominent national and international researchers. The Spanish Ministry of Education awarded UPF with a CEI label (International Excellence Campus). Below are some impressive global indicators and rankings:
- UPF received the highest rate of performance in the Spanish System
- One of the 20 European Universities with more projects funded by the European Research Council
- First Spanish university in research productivity
- High Satisfaction rate (93%) and job placements (87%)
- Times Higher Education ranking (2013): 25th highest ranked university in the world among those under 50 years of age
- QS ranking (2013): 25th highest ranked university in the world among those under 50 years of age
- Shanghai University ranking (2012): Among the 500 top universities in the world. By fields, it is the 1st Spanish university in Social Sciences and Management
- Ranking 2011 in research production and productivity in the Spanish university public system, published by researchers from the Granada University (2012): 1st Spanish university in scientific productivity since 2010
- U-Ranquing (BBVA Foundation & Ivie, 2012): 1st spanish university in productivity in the areas of teaching and research
- El Mundo ranking (2013): 9 of the 15 undergraduate courses evaluated are ranked among the Top 5
Barcelona SAE now offers a semester or year long Hispanic and European Studies program (HESP) at the UPF. The HESP semester program offers courses in Spanish and English in four main areas: Catalan studies, Hispanic Studies, European Studies, and Global Studies. The HESP campus is near Ciutadella Park, Barcelona’s beaches and the city center.
Sample Courses include:
*Barcelona, The City and its History
*La vida privada en la Barcelona medieval: espacio, sociedad, y culturas
*Spain in cinema: local and global perspectives
*Models of Global Power: Ancient Rome and the Western World
The Business and Economics Program at the Escuela Superior de Comercio Internacional (ESCI) is designed for Business majors and minors. Students may take Spanish language, Business Spanish, and Business classes in English and Spanish alongside local students. The ESCI campus is near Ciutadella Park near the beach of Barcelona and city center.
All students must enroll in the core course International Management, then choose either International Finance or International Economics. The rest of the courses can be taken from a variety of course offerings.
The Legal Studies Honors Program at UPF is only offered in the spring semester. This program allows students who are interested in international law and international relations the chance to study abroad and earn credit towards their degrees. After completion of the program, students will receive a joint certificate from the UPF School of Law and UPF Study Abroad Programs which can be used for law school applications.
Some sample courses include:
*Introduction to Comparative Private Law
*Law, Justice and Legitimacy
*Crime and punishment in the US and EU: a comparative approach
Last, but not least, is the Summer Liberal Arts Program. This summer program offers courses in English and Spanish in the areas of Political Sciences, Humanities, Communications, and Spanish language. Students may take classes at the Ciutadella and/or Poble Nou campuses. Both are centrally located and within walking distance of the beach.
Some courses include:
*Society and politics in Contemporary Spain
*Literatura Espanola del Siglo de Oro
*Barcelona on State: Documentary Workshop
*Sketches of Spain: Spain in Contemporary Mass and Visual Culture
Check out more about these awesome new programs at our website, www.barcelonasae.com! We are very excited to partner with UPF.